2017 (111) Martins, K.T., Albert, C., Lechowicz, M. and Gonzalez, A. (2017) Complementary mass-flowering crops sustain wild bee functional diversity. Ecological Applications (in review)
(110)Martins, K.T., Gonzalez, A. and Lechowicz, M. (2017) Patterns of pollinator turnover and increasing diversity associated with urban habitats. Urban Ecosystems (accepted for publication)
(109) Albert, C., Rayfield, B., Dumitru, M. and Gonzalez, A. (2017) Applying network theory to prioritize multi-species habitat networks that are robust to climate and land-use change. Conservation Biology DOI: 10.1111/cobi.12943
(108) Thompson, P. L. & Gonzalez, A. (2017) Dispersal governs the reorganization of ecological networks under environmental change. Nature Ecology & Evolution 1: 0162 Explore results with Shiny app here
(107) Isbell, F., Gonzalez,, A., Loreau, M. et al. (2017) Linking the influence and dependence of people and biodiversity across scales. Nature (accepted for publication)
(106) O'Connor, M., Gonzalez, A. et al. (2017) Toward predictive scaling coefficients for biodiversity and ecosystem functioning relationships Oikos 126: 18-31.
2016 (105) Lamy, T., Liss, K., Gonzalez, A., Bennett, E. (2016) Landscape structure affects the provision of multiple ecosystem services. Environmental Research Letters on line
(104) Leo, S., Gonzalez, A., Millien, V. (2016) Genetic signature of range expansion of a disease vector - the black-legged tick. Journal of Heredity DOI: 10.1093/jhered/esw073.
(103) Urban, M. et al. (2016) Improving the forecast for biodiversity under climate changeScience 353: DOI: 10.1126/science.aad8466
(102) Thompson, P. L. & Gonzalez, A. (2016) Ecosystem multifunctionality in metacommunities.EcologyDOI: 10.1002/ecy.1502
(101) Thompson, P. L., Rayfield, B., Gonzalez, A. (2016) Loss of habitat and connectivity erodes species diversity, ecosystem functioning and stability in metacommunity networks. EcographyDOI: 10.1111/ecog.02558
(100) Haddad, N. M., Gonzalez, A., Brudvig, L. A., Burt, M. A., Levey, D. J., Damschen, E. I. (2016) Experimental evidence does not support the Habitat Amount Hypothesis. EcographyDOI: 10.1111/ecog.02535
(99) Thompson, P. L. et al. (2016) Signatures of the collapse and incipient recovery of an overexploited marine ecosystem. PRSB (submitted)
(98) Whiteley, J. A. and Gonzalez, A. (2016) Biotic nitrogen-fixation in the bryosphere inhibited more by drought than warming. Oecologia (online early)
(97) Leo, S., Gonzalez, A., Millien, V. (2016) Multi-taxa integrated landscape genetics for zoonotic infectious diseases: Deciphering variables influencing disease emergence. Genome (online early)
(96) Gonzalez, A., Cardinale, B., Allington, G., Byrnes, J., Endsley, A., Brown, D., Hooper, D., Isbell, F., O'Connor, M., Loreau, M. (2016) Estimating local biodiversity change: a critique of papers claiming no net loss of local biodiversity. Ecology (online). Recommended by Faculty 1000
(95) Dupras et al. (2016) The impacts of urban sprawl on ecological connectivity in the Montreal Metropolitan Region.Environmental Science & Policy 58: 61-73.
2015 (94) Mitchell et al. (2015) The Montérégie Connection: linking landscapes, biodiversity, and ecosystem services to improve decision making. Ecology and Society 20 (4):15.
(93) Dupras, J. et al. (2015) Management of vegetation under electric distribution lines will affect the supply of multiple ecosystem services. Land Use Policy51: 66-75.
(92) Low-Décarie, E. Kolber, M., Homme, P., Lofano, A., Dumbrell, A., Gonzalez, A., Bell, G. (2015) Community rescue in experimental metacommunities. PNAS 112: 14307-14312.
(91) Pedruski, M., Fussmann, G. and Gonzalez, A. (2015) A network approach reveals surprises about the history of the niche. Ecosphere
(90) Rayfield, B., Pelletier, D., Dumitru, M., Cardille, J. and Gonzalez, A. (2015) Multi-purpose habitat networks for short-range and long-range connectivity: a new method combining graph and circuit connectivity. Methods in Ecology and Evolution (on line).
(89) Mitchell, M., Bennett, E.M., Gonzalez, A. (2015) Strong and nonlinear effects of fragmentation on ecosystem service provision at multiple scales. Environmental Research Letters 10, 094014 (Open Access).
(88) Tekwa, E., Nguyen, D., Juncker, D., Loreau, M., and Gonzalez, A. (2015) Patchiness in a microhabitat chip affects evolutionary dynamics of bacterial cooperation. Lab on a Chip15, 3723-3729
(87) Pedruski, M., Fussmann, G. and Gonzalez, A. (2015) Predicting the outcome of competition when fitness inequality is variable. Royal Society Open Science (Open Access, online).
(86) Gonzalez, A. and Peres-Neto, P. (2015) Data curation: act to staunch loss of research data. Nature 520, 436.
(85) Dupras, J. et al. (2015) Towards the establishment of a green infrastructure in the region of Montreal (Quebec, Canada). Planning Practice and Research 30: 355-375.
(84) Tekwa, E., Gonzalez, A., Loreau, M. (2015) Local densities connect spatial ecology to game, multilevel selection and inclusive fitness theories of cooperation. Journal of Theoretical Biology 7: 414-425.
(83) Thompson, P.*, Rayfield, B.* and Gonzalez, A. (2015) Robustness of the spatial insurance effects of biodiversity to habitat loss. Evolutionary Ecology Research 16: 445-460 (*contributed equally)
(82) Haddad, N. M., et al. (2015) Habitat fragmentation and its lasting impact on Earth's ecosystems. Science Advances1, e1500052
(81) Thompson, P., Davies, J., and Gonzalez, A. (2015)Ecosystem functions across trophic levels are linked to functional and phylogenetic diversity. PLoS One10: e0117595.
(80) Martins, K.T., Gonzalez, A. and Lechowicz, M. (2014) Pollination services are mediated by bee functional diversity and landscape context. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment200: 12-20.
(79) Thompson, P., Beisner, B., and Gonzalez, A. (2014) Warming induces synchrony and destabilizes experimental zooplankton communities. Oikos (online Dec 2014).
(78) Turney, S., Gonzalez, A. and Millien, V. (2014) The negative relationship between mammal host diversity and Lyme disease incidence strengthens through time. Ecology 95: 3244–3250.
(77) Marrotte, R., Gonzalez, A. and Millien, V. (2014) Landscape resistance and habitat combine to provide an optimal model of genetic structure and connectivity at the range margin of a small mammal. Molecular Ecology 23: 3983-3998.
(76) Gomez GC, Guzman MH, Gonzalez, A. (2014) Population decline and the effects of disturbances on the structure and recovery of octocoral communities (Coelenterata: Octocorallia) in Pacific Panama. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom (online early)
(75) Duncan, A., Gonzalez, A., Kaltz, O. (2014) Dispersal, environmental forcing and parasites combine to affect metapopulation synchrony and stability. Ecology96: 284–290.
(73) Ziter, C., Bennett, E. M. and Gonzalez, A. (2014) Temperate forest fragments maintain aboveground carbon stocks out to the forest edge despite changes in community composition. Oecologia176: 893-902. (72) Simon, RR., Marrotte, N., Desrosiers, J., Fiset, J, Gaitan, J, Gonzalez, A, Koffi JK, Lapointe F-J, Leighton, P.A., Lindsay L.R., Logan, T., Milord F, Ogden NH, Rogic, A, Roy-Dufresne E, Suter D, Tessier N, Millien V. (2014) Climate change and habitat fragmentation drive the occurrence of B. burgdorferi, the agent of Lyme disease, at the northern limit of its distribution. Evolutionary Applications7: 750-764.
(71) O’Farrill, G., Gauthier-Schampaert, K., Rayfield, B., Bodin, O., Sengupta, R., Gonzalez, A. (2014) The potential connectivity of waterhole networks and the effectiveness of a protected area under various drought scenarios. PLoS One9(5): e95049
(70) Mitchell, M., Bennett, E.M., Gonzalez, A. (2014) Agricultural landscape structure affects arthropod diversity and arthropod-derived ecosystem services. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment192: 144-151.
(69) Mitchell, M., Bennett, E.M., Gonzalez, A. (2014) Forest fragments modulate the provision of multiple ecosystem services. Journal of Applied Ecology51: 909-918.
(68) Gross, K., Cardinale, C., Fox, J., Gonzalez, A. et al. (2014) Species richness and the temporal stability of biomass production: A new analysis of recent biodiversity experiments. American Naturalist183, 1-12.
(67) Gomez GC, Guzman MH, Gonzalez A, Odalisca B. (2014) Survival, growth, and recruitment of octocoral species (Coelenterata: Octocorallia) in Coiba National Park, Pacific Panama. Bulletin of Marine Science online
(66) Gonzalez, A. (2013) Biodiversity: the ecological deficit. Nature503, 206-207.
(65) Fussmann, G. and Gonzalez, A. (2013) Evolutionary rescue can maintain an oscillating community undergoing environmental change. Interface 6, 20130036
(64) Balvanera, P., Siddique, I., Dee, L., Paquette, A., Isbell, F., Gonzalez, A., Byrnes, J., O’Conner, M., Hungate, B. and Griffin, J.N. (2013) Linking biodiversity and ecosystem services: current uncertainties and the necessary next step. BioScience(online early).
(63) Duncan, A., Gonzalez, A., Kaltz, O. (2013) Inflationary effects of temporal and spatial temperature variation on a parasite epidemic in experimental metapopulations. Proceedings of the Royal Society, London B. 280: 20131747–20131747.
(62) Ziter, C., Bennett, E. M. and Gonzalez, A. (2013) Functional diversity and management mediate carbon storage in small forest fragments. Ecosphere4, 1-21
(61) Mitchell, M. E. G., Bennett, E. M., and Gonzalez, A. (2013) Linking landscape connectivity and ecosystem service provision: current knowledge and research gaps. EcosystemsDOI: 10.1007/s10021-013-9647-2
(60) Loreau, M., Daufresne, T, Gonzalez, A., Gravel, D., Guichard, F., Leroux, S., Loeuille, N. Massol, F., Mouquet, N. (2013)Unifying sources and sinks in ecology and Earth sciences.Biological ReviewsDOI: 10.1111/brv.12003.
(57) Cardinale, B.J., Duffy, E.J., Gonzalez, A., Hooper, D.U., Perrings, C., Venail, P., Narwani, A., Mace, G.M., Tilman, D., Wardle, D.A., Kinzig, A.P., Daily, G.C., Loreau, M., Grace, J.B., Larigauderie, A., Srivastava, D. and Naeem, S. (2012) Biodiversity loss and its impact on Humanity. Nature486, 59–67.
(56) Lindo, Z., Whiteley, J., and Gonzalez, A. (2012) Traits Explain Community Disassembly and Trophic Contraction Following Experimental Environmental Change. Global Change Biology 18, 2448-2457.
(55) Hooper, D.U., Adair, E. C., Cardinale, B.J., Byrnes, J.E.K., Hungate, B.A., Matulich, K. L., Gonzalez, A., Duffy, E..J., Gamfeldt, L., and O’Connor, M.I. (2012) A global synthesis reveals biodiversity loss as a major driver of ecosystem change. Nature486, 105-108. Faculty of 1000 Biology ‘Must Read’, 2 May 2012.
(54)Pillai, P., Gonzalez, A. and Loreau, M. (2012) Evolution of dispersal in a predator-prey metacommunity. American Naturalist 179, 204-216.
(53) Hendry, A., Millien, V., Gonzalez, A. and Larsson, H. (2012) How humans influence adaptive landscapes. In: The Adaptive Landscape in Evolutionary Biology. (Eds. Svensson, E. I. and Calsbeek, R.). Oxford University Press.
(52) Pillai, P., Gonzalez, A. and Loreau, M. (2011) Metacommunity theory explains the emergence of food web complexity. PNAS 108, 19293–19298
(51) Bell, G. and Gonzalez, A. (2011) Adaptation and evolutionary rescue in metapopulations experiencing environmental deterioration. Science 332: 1327-1330.
(50) Gonzalez, A., Rayfield, B., Lindo, Z. (2011) The Disentangled Bank: How Habitat Loss Fragments and Disassembles Ecological Networks. American Journal of Botany 98: 503.
(49) Cardinale, B., Matulich, K., Hooper, D. U., Byrnes, J. E., Duffy, E., Gamfeldt, L., Balvanera, P., O’Connor, M.I., Gonzalez, A. (2011) The functional role of producer diversity in ecosystems. American Journal of Botany 98: 572. Selected for Faculty of 1000 Biology, 12 January 2012.
(48) Mouquet, N., Matthiessen, B., Miller, T. and Gonzalez, A. (2011) Extinction debt in source-sink metacommunities. PLoS ONE 6(3): e17567.doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0017567
(47) Millien, V. and Gonzalez, A. (2011) The maximal body mass-area relation in island mammals. Journal of Biogeography (online)
(46) O’Farrill, G.X., Calmé, S., Sengupta, R. and Gonzalez, A. (2012) Effective seed dispersal by tapir: a large-scale field experiment. Journal of Tropical Ecology 28 : 119-122.
(45) O'Farrill, G., Chapman, C. A. and Gonzalez, A. (2011) Origin and deposition sites influence seed germination and seedling survival of Manilkara zapota: implications for long-distance animal mediated seed dispersal. Seed Science Research 21 : pp 305-313
(44) Lindo, Z., and Gonzalez, A. (2010) The bryosphere: an integral and influential component of the Earth’s biosphere. Ecosystems13: 612.
(43) Chisholm, C., Lindo, Z. and Gonzalez, A. (2010) Metacommunity diversity depends on network connectivity and arrangement in heterogeneous landscapes. Ecography doi/10.1111/j.1600-0587.2010.06588.x
(42) Staddon, P., Lindo, Z., Crittenden, P., Gilbert, F. and Gonzalez, A. (2010) Connectivity, non-random extinction, and ecosystem function in experimental metacommunities. Ecology Letters 13: 543-552.
(41) Millien, V., Roy-Dufresne, E., and Gonzalez, A. Distinguishing the indistinguishable: Rapid and parallel morphological change in two similar co-occurring species of Peromyscus over the last 50 years. (submitted)
(40) Anand, M., Gonzalez, A., Guichard, F., Kolasa, J. and Parrott, L. (2010) An Ecological Perspective on Complexity: Diversity, Scale, Memory and Environmental Variability. Diversity 2010, 2(3): 398-410.
(29) Gonzalez, A., Lambert, A. and Ricciardi, T. (2008) When does ecosystem engineering facilitate invasion and species replacement. Oikos 117: 1247-1257.
(28) Cazelles, B., Stone, L., and Gonzalez, A. (2008) Environmental pacemaker can induce imperfect synchrony in complex oscillating populations. Journal of Animal Ecology. In review.
(27) Perron, G., Gonzalez, A. and Buckling, A. (2007) Source-sink dynamics shape the evolution of antibiotic resistance and its pleiotropic fitness costs. Proceedings of the Royal Society, series B. 274: 2351-2356. (PDF)
(22) Potvin, C., Chapin III, FS, Gonzalez, A., Leadley, P., Reich, P. and Roy, J. (2007) Plant biodiversity and responses to elevated carbon dioxide. Chapter 9. In Terrestrial Ecosystems in a Changing World. (eds Canadell, J., Pataki, D. and Pitelka, L.). Spinger-Verlag.
(21) O'Farrill, G., Calmé, S., and Gonzalez, A. (2006) Manilkara zapota: A new record of a species dispersed by tapirs. Tapir Conservation 15: 32-35.
(20) Massin, N. and Gonzalez, A. (2006) Adaptive radiation in a fluctuating environment: disturbance affects the evolution of diversity in a bacterial microcosm. Evolutionary Ecology Research 8:1-11.
(19) Descamps-Julien, B. and Gonzalez, A. (2005) Stable coexistence in a fluctuating environment: an experimental demonstration. Ecology 86(10): 2815-2824.
(18) Fontaine, C. and Gonzalez A. (2005) Population synchrony induced by resource fluctuations and dispersal in an aquatic microcosm. Ecology 86 (6):1463-1471.
(17) Chase J. Amarasekare P. Cottenie K. Gonzalez, A. Holt R. Holyoak M. Hoopes Law R. M. Leibold M. A. Loreau M. Mouquet N. Shurin J. Tilman D. (2005). Competing theories for competitive metacommunities. In : Metacommunities: Spatial dynamics and ecological communities. eds M. Holyoak, M A. Leibold and R. D. Holt. Chicago University Press.
(16) Gonzalez, A. (2005) Local and regional community dynamics in fragmented landscapes: insights from a bryophyte-based microcosm. In “Metacommunities: spatial dynamics and ecological communities” eds. M. Holyoak, M. A. Leibold and R. D. Holt. Chicago University Press.
(15) Gonzalez, A. and Descamps, B. (2004) Population and community stability in a fluctuating environment. Oikos 106:105-116.
(14) Leibold, M. A., Holyoak, M., Mouquet, N., Amarasekare, P., Chase, J. M., Hoopes, M. F., Holt, R. D., Shurin, J. B., Law, R., Tilman, D., Loreau, M., Gonzalez, A. (2004) The metacommunity concept: a framework for multi-scale community ecology. Ecology Letters 7: 601-613. This paper is in the top 100 most highly cited papers in Environment and Ecology of the last 10 years (ISI Web of Science).
(13) Srivastava, D.S., Kolasa, J., Bengtsson, J., Gonzalez, A., Lawler, S. P., Miller, T. E., Munguia, P., Romanuk, T., Schneider, D. C., Trzcinski, K. M. (2004) Are natural microcosms useful model systems for ecology? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19: 379-384.
(7) Gonzalez, A. (2000) Community relaxation in fragmented landscapes: the relation between species, area and age. Ecology Letters 3, 441.
(6) Cohen, J. E., Newman, C. M., Cohen, A. E., Petchey, O. L. P., Gonzalez, A. (1999) Spectral Mimicry: A method for synthesizing metching time series with different Fourier Spectra. Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing 18, 431-442.
(1) Gonzalez, A., Rowe, C., Weekes, P., Whittle, D., Gilbert, F. S. and Barnard, C. J. (1994) Flower choice by honey bees (Apis mellifera L.) sex phase of flowers and preferences among nectar and pollen foragers. Oecologia 101: 258-26.